View It Live
Anguilla is a British Overseas territory in Anguilla and is a world renowned destination, famous for its cuisine. José, born and raised in Anguilla, identified the importance of tourism to the country's economy. While both locals and visitors have no shortage of excellent restaurants to choose from, there was no effective means of exploring these options. After spending some time in the UK, Jose saw the impact services such as Deliveroo and JustEat had on local restaurants and realised that this would benefit similar SME’s in his home nation. As IT Manager at Malliouhana - An Auberge Resort and a member of the Anguillian House of Assembly, Jose was in the unique position to spearhead the operation across the country.
Jose recognised the importance of distribution of wealth for the country's tourism sector. He saw first-hand the challenges created by large resorts and small businesses on the island. AnguillaEats aimed to educate & inspire visitors to the island by offering them new opportunities.
Additionally, the country was recovering from Hurricane Irma. Much of the tourism sector had faced unprecedented damage and was struggling to bounce back. For Jose, it was important that the Island recovered as quickly as possible before the tourism season started and AnguillaEats was key to that.
Jose approached Canary & Delta to deliver the complete product. Our involvement would encompass inception, early user testing, design & development. After release, we were also involved in the marketing of the product.
A working MVP was created in 2 months, delivered and released. Canary & Delta not only provided the cross-platform React Native app but also the content management system, marketing material, and materials to up-skill future engineers.
The product was split into 3 key parts. Mobile App, Management Platform & Website.
The mobile app allowed users to:
- Find restaurants (Filtering / Searching / Map View)
- Explore specials and offers
- Leave reviews
- Order items
- The Management platform allowed AnguillaEats staff to upload new content daily.
- The website allowed restaurant owners to access the platform and update menus and restaurant information.
The key stages were:
- Design sets for mobile application
- Cross-platform mobile application using React Native
- A light-weight server system for managing data-flow and optimised for poor connectivity regions
- Online CMS to add restaurants, menus & offers
- Restaurant Manager login portal for Managers to access analytics
- Marketing Material
The solution was deployed to 300 restaurants which helped to create new business for local SME's. Over 6000 "Key Interactions" were made to restaurants within the first month of the launch.